Book Presentation about Komitas Vartabed, From a Psychological Angle
Meet Meline Karakashian, author of the new book, is the researched story of Komitas Vartabed’s development, his immense contribution to the preservation of Armenian religious and folk music, and his psychiatric hospitalizations following the Great Crime of 1915, written by a psychologist, Asbarez.com reports. This small volume encapsulates the story of the Great Crime and its psychological consequences, Komitas Vartabed being a prime example of a victim-survivor-sufferer.
Meline Karakashian is a licensed psychologist living in New Jersey. She was born in Lebanon where she received her primary education. She moved to the United States and studied at Rutgers and Seton Hall universities, majoring in psychology. For the past 25 years, she has worked as a clinical psychologist and university lecturer and has served on the boards of Armenian and American professional, educational, charitable, and civic organizations. Her expertise is in traumatic stress (PTSD) and her lifelong goal is to help individuals overcome psychological trauma. The subjects of her writings, while professional, almost always focus on Armenian issues, in particular the Genocide of 1915, the Earthquake of 1988, the Karabagh war, and Armenian migration. She published, The Trauma of Genocide and National Identity, on the intergenerational transmission of Genocide trauma in Eastern Armenian for her students, in 2006. With her husband, Nubar, a second cousin to Komitas, she has three adult children.
The presentation of the book will be held on Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 7:30pm at Abril Bookstore.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London