Rep. Schiff reads names of Armenian genocide victims from House floor
Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Burbank) on Wednesday took to the U.S. House of Representatives floor to read the names of 1,000 people killed during the Armenian Genocide.
After business concluded in the House for the day, Schiff spent an hour reading the names of constituents’ relatives and those in the Armenian-American community that were submitted over the past two weeks to his office through social media and email.
As each name was read, Schiff also tweeted the names, along with the hashtag #NeverForget1915, in reference to the 100-year anniversary of the 1.5 million Armenians who were killed at the hands of the Ottoman Turks.
Schiff’s reading of the names came the day after the White House confirmed that President Obama would not use the word “genocide” when he issues a statement today on the 100th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide.
“In a single hour, I was only able to read the names of a mere fraction of those who were killed in the Armenian Genocide,” Schiff said in a statement. “To read all of the names of the more than 1.5 million people murdered at the time would take many weeks, and I hope that the recitation of the victims will help call attention to the magnitude of the crime. A name, unlike a number, is no abstraction — each was a son or daughter, a mother or father, a grandparent, an aunt or an uncle; each was a precious life.”
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London