Scout Tufankjian to Address AIWA Annual Meeting
Photojournalist Scout Tufankjian, whose new book about the Armenian Diaspora, “There is Only the Earth: Images from the Armenian Diaspora Project”, has just been released, will be the luncheon speaker at the Annual Meeting of the Armenian International Women’s Association (AIWA) on Sat., June 27.
As Armenianweekly.com reports, Tufankjian has spent the bulk of her career working in the Middle East, covering the second intifada from Gaza and the Arab Spring in Egypt, although she is best known for her work documenting Barack Obama’s presidential campaigns.
Her book on the 2007-2008 Obama campaign, Yes We Can: Barack Obama’s History-Making Presidential Campaign, was a New York Times and Los Angeles Times bestseller. In the summer of 2012, Tufankjian returned to the campaign trail as a photographer for President Obama’s re-election campaign, where she took the famed image of Barack and Michelle Obama hugging, shattering all social media records at the time.
There is Only the Earth: Images from the Armenian Diaspora Project is the culmination of 6 years spent documenting the Armenian communities in more than 20 different countries. Released in April, it was designed as an Armenian Genocide Centennial project to show, as she put it, “that we could celebrate our survival and accomplishments at the same time that we were mourning our losses.” Since its release, Tufankjian has been interviewed about the book on many local and national radio and television stations.
Also featured on AIWA’s program will be a performance by Laura Zarougian taken from “This Armenian Life,” a one-woman show that she wrote and directed.
AIWA’s Annual Meeting and Luncheon will be held at the Winchester Country Club in Winchester. Special reports will be presented regarding AIWA programs in Armenia, including the Women’s Entrepreneurship Program at the American University of Armenia and funding for the Women’s Support Center in Yerevan. Scholarship awards to female students in higher educational institutions around the world will be announced. Plans for AIWA’s 25th anniversary celebration in the fall of 2016 will be discussed.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London