“There are a lot of amazing characters throughout our history, but Vartan Mamigonian is our ‘Braveheart’. Roger Kupelian
Roger Kupelian may not be a household name in Hollywood but no doubt he has a following in the indie film business which he’s cultivated for the past 23 years.
He happens to be well versed in many forms of visual media, having contributed everything from storyboards production illustrations and concepts to final shots for major film projects. Among his credits in visual effects are the “Lord of the Rings Trilogy,” “Alice in Wonderland” and “Hugo.” All were blockbusters with Oscar considerations and huge box office appeal.
Suffice it to say that Kupelian has made inroads upon the silver screen and he’s just beginning. A franchise he’s created titled “East of Byzantium,” is inviting 100 fans to own a uniquely painted special cover for the next installment is his “Warrior Saints” graphic novel series.
“War Gods” is based upon the historical events of Armenia’s conversion to Christianity in 301 AD. The story has already been presented to the Knights of Vartan. Kupelian did a signing at San Diego’s Comic Con, a major national industry event.
A sequel called “Warrior Saints” is the next installment of this epic saga. In the book, over a century has passed since the events of 301. Vartan Mamigonian and his followers face incredible odds to defend their country and religious freedom. When the men fall in battle, women pick up the fight.
Kupelian has maintained that the EoB graphic novel series was a way to get the vision of a possible future film out there so readers can grasp the intent.
“There are a lot of amazing characters throughout our history,” he points out. “But Vartan Mamigonian is the one I identified with, even as an Armenian kid growing up in a diasporan community in West Africa. He’s our ‘Braveheart’ and his story deserves to be told. The power in this narrative is one of us having this Warrior Code, rather than being identified as victims.”
The “East of Byzantium” franchise has fans around the world buzzing. There was even a reader who took a photo with a copy of the book to the South Pole. “War Gods” was released over a year ago and both books have been licensed as the foundation for a “docu-tainment” miniseries for television, which is now in post-production.
The program was filmed in Armenia last year with authentic landscapes as a backdrop and actors in full period costume from the 4th and 5th centuries. There have also been discussions with major Hollywood icons for a feature version of the story. Lavishly rendered from extensive research, the first 100 copies of “Warrior Saints” will be completely unique in that each cover will be specifically made for that project supporter. Artwork is all supplied by Kupelian.
“This campaign by Roger is truly unique,” said good friend Jason Sohigian, deputy director, Armenia Tree Project. “Vartanantz was an amazing piece of history and he’s doing it justice with his talents.”
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London