There’s More to Armenia Than the Kardashians
Newsweek – Armenia is looking to harness the power of Wikipedia to draw attention to their rich culture, history and language. The government is asking every Armenian to pen one article each to spread the word.
There’s also no doubt they wish to remind everyone that there’s more to Armenia thanpopular Eurovision Song Contest entries and the ubiquitous Kardashian clan.
The campaign, One Armenian, One Article, is being promoted by journalists, government ministers, and musicians, and hopes to “enrich” the online encyclopedia with more information about what matters to Armenian citizens, the Guardian reports. And what began as a humble YouTube video has now reached the Armenian diaspora by being broadcast on satellite TV networks. Around three million people live in Armenia, and the population living throughout the rest of the world is estimated at around 8 million.
In the clip, Armenian Education minister Armen Ashotyan, says “One Armenian, one article – I will definitely do that and believe you will too,” the BBC reports. The country’s defence minister, Seyran Ohanyan, said he has already penned an article on the Armenian army, while the radish is the topic of choice for a young Armenian man.
The trouble lies in the language barrier, which the One Armenian, One Article campaign is trying to solve. For Armenians living abroad, contributing to the Wikipedia campaign might be difficult given the small numbers that read or write in the eastern dialect, which is most commonly used in the country, or the western dialect, which is recognized an endangered language by Unesco, the Guardian reports.
Armenian Wikipedia was founded 11 years ago and has nearly 400,000 articles. The campaign’s popularity is helping Armenia beat neighboring Georgia and Azerbaijan in the page numbers stakes, the BBC reports.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London