Armenian Youth Performs with Waltham Philharmonic Orchestra
Each fall, the Waltham Philharmonic Orchestra (WPO) hosts auditions as part of its youth concerto competition, in which students up to high school age play a solo they propose to perform with the orchestra at the spring concert. This past season, violinist Haig Hovsepian from Belmont gave an excellent rendition of the Khachaturian concerto solo part to win the competition and play with the WPO, as Armenianweekly.com reports.
The Spring Concert, “Asian Dreamscape,” conducted by Maestro Michael Korn, was already designed with a pan-Asian theme, in partial cooperation with the administration of Plympton School, whose curriculum this year features a school-wide study of Asia. The concerto now in the program, written by Armenian composer Aram Khachaturian, fit in well with the rest of the concert theme, as Armenia is located near the border region spanning both Europe and Asia. Haig Hovsepian’s beautiful violin solo in the concerto, accompanied by the Waltham Philharmonic, was exciting and inspiring, demonstrating both his outstanding technique and musicality. We have no doubt that we will be hearing about great accomplishments in the future from Haig. The emotional feel and poignancy of the concerto was even more meaningful because Haig dedicated the performance as a memorial to the victims of the Armenian Genocide, one century ago.
The audience greeted the performers with standing ovations, and it was apparent that Waltham Philharmonic not only has a very strong leadership, but an equally strong and faithful following. This is no surprise given its members’ dedication and love for music. It is truly the enthusiasm of the WPO members that makes sustaining the classical values possible throughout the communities, such as Waltham. No wonder Waltham Mayor Jeannette McCarthy showed her continuous support by her presence and cheering of the musicians at the concert.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London