Calendar of Events
New York/New Jersey
May 13, 15 and 16, New York City. “Dear Armen,” an audience-immersive play written by Kamee Abrahamian and D. Lee Williams Boudakian and starring Kamee Abrahamian will be performed at Alwan for the Arts (Located downtown at 16 Beaver Street) Reception at 7:30pm, showtime at 8:00pm. Inspired by Armen Ohanian, an enigmatic performer and poet who survived early 20th century anti-Armenian pogroms in Baku. Independent producers Christopher Atamian and Kathleen Minogue Keagy are co-producing this New York premiere.Website: www.deararmen.com Trailer: https://vimeo.com/75593828 Tickets available at: http://deararmennyc.bpt.me.
May 14, 7:30 PM, New York City. As part of 2013-2014 Season of Classical Music at St Vartan Cathedral will feature a performance by Saint Vartan Orchestra with pianist Karine Poghosyan.
May 16, 7:30 PM, Tenafly, N.J. St. Thomas Church 174 Essex Dr. (Corner of 9W & East Clinton Ave.) will host singer Avraam Russo live in concert with Armenian, Arabic, English, and Russian songs. After party with DJ Shant. Tickets: $45. For ticket information contact Talar Sarafian email@example.com or (201) 444-2478; Maral Kalishian at (845) 729-1888; Tanya Vartanyan at (201) 941-6764; or the church office at (201) 567-5446.
May 16, 7:45 PM, Fair Lawn, N.J. Socio-linguist Dr. Arda Jebejian of the University of Nicosia (Cyprus) will give a presentation on maintaining the Western Armenian language at St. Leon Church (12-61 Saddle River Road in Fair Lawn). In English. This event is jointly sponsored by the Diocesan Armenian Studies Program, Zohrab Information Center and St. Leon Church. For information call 212 686-0710 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
May 17, 6 PM, Albany, N.Y. St. Peter Women’s Guild of Watervliet celebrates 100 years of its establishment with a dinner dance at the Desmond Hotel & Conference Center in Albany and the big band sounds of the local Greg Nazarian ensemble. Tickets are $75 per person; children 12 and under – $35. All proceeds will benefit “Mer Doon”, working since 2005 to help impoverished young women in Armenia through education and training. For info call 518-274-3673.
May 17, 7:30 PM, New Milford, N.J. A benefit evening to raise funds for the restoration efforts of the St. Giragos Church in Dikranagerd, Turkey will be held at the Hovnanian Banquet Hall (817 River Road, New Milford). With traditional Armenian music by Udi Yervant, who will be traveling straight from Dikranagerd to perform, as well as local oud player Mike Uzatmajian. Donation $80. For reservations call Hirant Gulian at 212-764-8730, Zivart Gulian at 201-906-0553, Ruby Gulian at 201-313-1762 or Sonya Bekarian at 201-315-5916.
May 22-26, New York City. The ACYOA 2014 General Assembly and National Sports Weekend will be hosted by the Holy Martyrs Armenian Church in Bayside, N.Y. For information and sponsorship email email@example.com.
May 29, 7 PM, New York City. Dr. Armen T. Marsoobian, chair of the philosophy department at Southern Connecticut State University, will give a lecture at the Diocese’s Zohrab Information Center on “Resisting the Darkness: The Story of an Islamized Armenian Family in Marzovan (Armenia), 1915-1919.” Free and open to the public. A reception will follow.
May 30-June 1, New York City. The Armenian Bar Association will hold its 25th Annual Meeting, beginning with a cocktail reception on May 30 at the Tufenkian Artisan Carpet New York Showroom. The New York City Armenian Bar Association organizing committee is also organizing a tour of the Court of International Trade and a visit to downtown Manhattan to be held earlier on Friday. The Board will hold its annual business meeting at the Permanent Mission of Armenia to the UN. May 31 CLE panels will take place at at Association of the Bar of the City of New York, 42 West 44th Street (between 5th and 6th Ave.) and focus on Ethics in Social Media, to be presented by Stacy K. Marcus, a partner in the law firm of Reed Smith; the second session will feature Mark L. Movsesian, Professor of Law and Director, Center for Law and Religion, St. John’s University School of Law, on the topic of “Human Rights Concerns of Mideast Christians.” The third CLE session, “Ongoing Legal Efforts and Challenges to Preserve Armenian Antiquities and Cultural Property,” will be moderated by Mark A. Momjian, partner of Momjian Anderer, LLC, and include panelists Claire S. Kedeshian, Assistant U.S. Attorney, Eastern District of New York; Anahid M. Ugurlayan, Senior Staff Attorney, National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus; and Yelena Ambartsumian, Law Clerk at Shaub, Ahumty, Citrin & Spratt LLP. The Saturday keynote luncheon at the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, will feature Kenneth Roth, the Executive Director of Human Rights Watch. For more information, contact Gary Moomjian at firstname.lastname@example.org; Denise Darmanian at email@example.com or Lisa Boyadjian at firstname.lastname@example.org.
June 6 7:30 PM, New York City. St. Vartan Armenian Cathedral will host “A Night Under the Stars” featuring the Huyser Music Ensemble on the cathedral plaza. The evening’s program-“Project 2 Clash”-will feature a “clash” of different musical instruments, talents, and genres, including Armenian pop and folk music, contemporary jazz, and Spanish guitar music. For more info visit www.huysermusic.org.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London