Leslie Ayvazian Set for Reading of New Play at Raven Theatre
What do you say when people ask you what happened to the Armenians who lived in your country during the years of the First World War? Part black comedy and part harrowing family legacy, “15/15″ is the story of John Saypian, his wife Beatrice and daughter Arleen, Armenian-Americans haunted by the long-denied genocide that displaced a generation. When the tormentor of John’s visions manifests in his real life, he prepares to do battle with his historical nemesis and get answers before it’s too late. “15/15″ looks at the insanity that ensues when history is denied.
The reading, to be directed by Raven Co-Artistic Director JoAnn Montemurro, will be performed by a cast including Ms. Ayvazian along with Raven ensemble members Michael Menendian, Sophia Menendian, Kelli Strickland, Joshua J. Volkers and Kristen Williams. The play recently was performed in March of this year in a public reading at the Martin E. Segal Theatre Center in New York City directed by Austin Pendleton and featuring Linda Lavin. Additionally, a scene from 15/15 was performed at the Kirk Douglas Theatre in Los Angeles in April.
Leslie Ayvazian is the author of Nine Armenians, winner of the John Gassner/Outer Critics Circle Award for best new American play, as well as seven other full-length plays and seven one-act plays. Ms. Ayvazian, who is also a working actress whose credits include roles on Broadway and network television, will do double duty as an actress by participating in the reading and a talkback following the reading.
“15/15″ is one of several events at Raven Theatre celebrating Armenian culture and heritage in observance of the 100th Anniversary of the Armenian Genocide, Raven’s production of Beast on the Moon, by Richard Kalinoski, which tells the story of two young survivors of the Genocide attempting to build a new family in America after losing theirs to the Armenian Holocaust, runs through June 6, 2015. Concurrent with that production, Raven is exhibiting pieces by Armenian-American artist Jackie Kazarian and an authentic Armenian orphan rug, courtesy of Oscar Isberian Rugs.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London