‘1915’ To Be Screened At Lake Van International Film Festival
As Asbarez.com reports, the Lake Van International Film Festival is set to celebrate its fourth year this fall, keeping to its tradition of beginning the festival on September 1, which marks World Peace Day in Turkey.
“Cultural Heritage” is the theme of the festival this year and will include “1915,” the feature film debut of Garin Hovannisian and Alec Mouhibian, about the Armenian Genocide.
With Turkey continuing to deny the Armenian Genocide, it came as no surprise that Turkish television station Canal Turk was threatened with boycott and protest after they decided to air Atom Egoyan’s “Ararat” in 2006. While the film was still shown, it was an edited version with many scenes depicting the massacres of 1915 cut.
This year, however,100 years after the beginning of the Genocide, in a city very symbolic and controversial for Armenians and Turks alike, “1915” will be screened—unedited, between September 1 and 7.
As the Lake Van International Film Festival begins on World Peace Day, and is operating under the theme of “Cultural Heritage” in a historically Armenian city, it seems that co-director Garin Hovannisian’s hope that his film would go beyond art and serve “as an act of defiance against the continuing silence, indifference, and denial that have fueled an entire century of genocide,” could be realized.
Set and filmed in Los Angeles, 1915 follows one man’s dangerous and controversial decision to stage a play that would bring the ghosts of a forgotten tragedy back to life, exactly 100 years after it occurred.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London