Armenia and The Cinema of Independence
“TO THE RESTLESS SOULS, HELLO HELLO is the first of a series of events by the USC Institute of Armenian Studies marking 25 years of independence, reports Asbarez.com.
To begin to mark that event, USC institute of Armenian studies welcome everybody to an afternoon of films, shot over the last 25 years, all of which try to look at that singular historic event and the years of tentative independence that have followed,” said Salpi Ghazarian, director of the Institute. “In the field of Armenian Studies, there is a gap when it comes to research and publications on the modern independent Republic of Armenia’s quarter century of existence. Viewing and discussing film is one small, quick way to begin to address that gap.”
Note, that the films will be shown on Sunday, September 20, from 3 to 7 pm at the Laemmle’s Theater in Pasadena. The screening will be followed by a Q&A with the director of THE ABODE, Lusine Sargsyan.
This event is part of a new Institute program called CINESILK- a series focusing on Armenia, the Caucasus Neighborhood, and their many diasporas through film.
In THE FRENZIED MASSES, Charents glorified the people’s struggle. In these films, there is no glorification. There is celebration and there is a hard coming to terms with changed circumstances – unpredictable, unknown, yet hopeful. There is also humor and love.
Established in 2005, the USC Institute of Armenian Studies supports multidisciplinary scholarship to re-define, explore and study the complex issues that make up the contemporary Armenian experience – from post-Genocide to the developing Republic of Armenia to the evolving Diaspora. The institute encourages research, publications and public service, and benefits from communication technologies that link together the global academic and Armenian communities.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London