Golden Apricot Film Festival Kicks off in Yerevan
YEREVAN—The 11th edition of the annual Golden Apricot International Film Festival commenced in Yerevan on Sunday, as filmmakers, artists, and critics attended its opening ceremony.
This year’s opening ceremony paid homage to Sergey Parajanov — a renowned Soviet-era Armenian filmmaker — with a screening of one of his most well-known works, “The Color of Pomegranates.” Parajanov and his legacy will be a central theme of this year’s film festival.
The competitive part of the festival will feature 70 international films from 95 countries. Films will compete in four categories, customary to the Golden Apricot festival: feature film, documentary, “Armenian panorama,” and “kernel” (short film).
A priest leads the blessing of apricots at Yerevan’s St. Gregory the Illuminator Cathedral. July 13, 2014. (Photo: official publication)
A number of well-known filmmakers and artists are attending the Golden Apricot festival, including Kim Ki-duk (South Korea), Krzysztof Zanussi (Poland), Amos Gitai (Israel), and others.
Concurrent with the opening ceremony, a traditional blessing of apricots was performed at Yerevan’s St. Gregory the Illuminator Cathedral to mark the opening of the film festival.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London