A woman who saved 30.000 children is the ”Aurora” prize laureate
Yerevan hosted the first award ceremony of ”Aurora” Prize for Awakening Humanity. The event was held on the day of Armenian Genocide 101th anniversary.
The Aurora Prize Selection Committee’s Co – Chairs are actor George Clooney and Nobel Laureate Elie Wiesel. From four nominees they chose Marguerite Barankitse as ”Aurora” Prize Laureate. The award was presented by George Clooney.
Marguerite Barankitse works in Maison Shalom and REMA Hospital in Burundi. She has saved thousands of lives and was taking care of orphans and refugees during the years of civil war in Burundi.
Marguerite Barankitse will receive $100.000 from founders of ”Aurora” Prize. In addition to this, 1.000.000 US dollars will be given to her for donating to three charity organizations. These organizations are: the Fondation du Grand-Duc et de La Grande-Duchesse du Luxembourg, Fondation Jean-François Peterbroeck, and the Fondation ”Bridderlech Deelen”.
During the evening the ”Principal coverage” prize was awarded on behalf of International Center for Journalism (ICFJ) and the 100 LIVES Initiative, and the first winner was The New York Times reporter Rukmini Callimachi.
Callimachi has introduced to the world the horrific institutionalization of sex slavery by ISIS. She also investigated the link between the child labor in gold mines of Senegal and banks in Switzerland, as well as revealed cases about mass killings of people in several African countries.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London