Admiral Sergey Avakyants: Commander of Russia’s Pacific Fleet Is A Native of Yerevan
horizonweekly.ca: Modern Armenia’s territory is not washed by seas. The largest body of water, located on the territory of the country, is Lake Sevan, which in spite of the unique composition of the water cannot serve for the establishment of a fleet. Notwithstanding this, in the country, deprived of access to the sea, throughout the history have been born outstanding sailors. The most famous of them is the Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union, Chief of Naval Staff of the Naval Forces of the USSR, Ivan (Hovhannes) Isakov (Isahakyan) (1894-1967). In our days Isakov’s true successor is his compatriot Admiral Sergey Avakyants.
Sergey Avakyants was born on April 6, 1957 in Yerevan (Armenian SSR) in the family of an officer of the USSR Navy. He graduated from the Black Sea Higher Naval School named after Nakhimov (1980) and completed Higher Special Officer Classes of the Navy (1991). Admiral Avakyants is also among the alumni of the Naval Academy named after Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union Kuznetsov (1998) and Military Academy of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation (2007).
Sergey Avakyants started his military career as the control group commander of the rocket and artillery warhead BOD “Admiral Yumashev” at the Northern Fleet in August of 1980. 32 years later, on May 3, 2012 Sergey Avakyants was appointed commander of the Pacific Fleet of the Russian Federation. On December 13, 2012 by the Decree of the President of the Russian Federation Avakyants received the military rank of Vice Admiral, and a year later – the rank of Admiral.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London