Fresno’s ARS Mayr Chapter Celebrates 100th Anniversary
Amid the personal and collective tragedies caused by the Armenian Genocide, the year 1915 did bring one shining and enduring development to the Fresno community—namely, the founding of the local division of the Armenian Red Cross or what is known today as the Mayr Chapter of the Armenian Relief Society. On Sunday, September 13, over 200 community members gathered at the Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church to celebrate the chapter’s founding and its contributions to the Central Valley, reports Asbarez.com.
Chairperson Pat Sevoian welcomed the audience, expressing her appreciation for their support. After national anthems sung by Hygo Ohannessian and the invocation by Fr. Vahan Gosdanian, Pastor of the Holy Trinity Armenian Church, she turned the podium to the afternoon’s emcee, Hon. Houry Sanderson, Justice of the Fresno County Superior Court. In her remarks, Sanderson recalled that one of the Mayr Chapter’s first endeavors occurred in November 1915 when 61 Armenian and 28 American women wearing the Red Cross emblem collected over $1,200 (nearly $28,000 by current valuation) to assist survivors of the Genocide. She thanked the group’s 100th anniversary banquet committee for making the event possible.
Rosie Bedrossian of the ARS Central Executive Board and Fresno’s Sophia Chapter highlighted the history and achievements of the organization in general, including its most recent efforts to aid refugees of the Syrian crisis. Bedrossian was certain that the Mayr Chapter “will always be receptive to the calls of the growing changes and diversity of the vital needs of the Fresno Armenian community”.
Chairperson of the ARS Western Regional Executive Rebecca Berberian said she’d like to take the opportunity to commend them all on their survival and permanence as a strong Armenian Diaspora community and added:
“As the name of your chapter translates, the ungeruhis of the Mayr Chapter, will forever be the matriarchs of Fresno’s Armenian community. As we celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Mayr Chapter’s founding, we commend and remember the integral role the Mayr Chapter has played in maintaining and strengthening Fresno’s community.”
Berberian was accompanied by Vicky Kataroyan of the Sophia Chapter, to present a commemorative plaque to the Mayr Chapter on its milestone.
The program included stirring dance numbers by the Hamazkayin Nairi Dance Group and a poem recitation and musical performance by harpist Sossy Kerkonian. The gathering was also treated to a 100 year photo journey, arranged by local photographer Alain Ekmalian. Afterwards, the entire audience joined with ARS members in the traditional candle lighting ceremony and the singing of the ARS anthem, led by Angele Ohanessian.
Berj K. Apkarian, Fresno’s Honorary Consul of the Republic of Armenia, presented a proclamation on behalf of the republic to mark the group’s centennial. Chairwoman Serpouhie Messerlian of the Hamazkayin Taniel Varoujan Chapter offered her congratulatory remarks, as did Edward Megerdichian of the ARF Soghomon Tehlirian Gomideh and Fr. Gosdanian, who read a letter from Archbishop Moushegh Mardirossian, Prelate of the Western Prelacy of the Armenian Apostolic Church. Proclamations were also received from Congressman Jim Costa, California Senator Tom Berryhill, and the Fresno County Board of Supervisors.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London