Genocide in photos: armed Armenian mother with liberated son
Armeniangenocide100.org writes: The history of the Armenian Genocide was recorded with tens of thousands of documents, including diplomatic reports, witness’ testimonies, memoirs and survivors’ oral stories.
Besides, pictures by Armenian and foreign photographers during the Genocide convey exceptional factual evidence. New photos still keep emerging year after year, proving the fact of the Armenian Genocide and its consequences. The Armenian Genocide Museum Institute gathered photos depicting the Armenian Genocide in a book, titled “100 photo stories on the Armenian Genocide,” and ArmenianGenocide100.org will regularly present them.
An Armenian woman from Catak, Tankik, is depicted in the photo: she managed to save her son from Kurds’ abduction attempt with a weapon in her hands.
To protect their children and honor, the Armenian women had to sometimes take up arms and resist the enemies.
This photo symbolizes the Armenian women’s heroic image.
Armenians, especially women and children were constantly subjected to persecutions and violence by Ottoman officials, Kurds and the Muslim population. They were often abducted and sold in various slave markets around the Empire.
Cruel pressure and trafficking, impunity of Kurds’ attacks, religious fanaticism, police and administrative lawlessness made Armenians more vulnerable, with legally inferior status. All this resulted in complaints, protests, and, in some cases, armed resistance among Armenians.
“The Sublime Porte engages to realize without further delay, the ameliorations and the reforms demanded by local requirements in the provinces inhabited by the Armenians, and to guarantee their security against the Kurds and the Circassians. The Sublime Porte will periodically render account of the measures taken with this intent to the Powers who will supervise them.”
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London