Vatican Honors Armenians, Issues Stamps
As CatholicCulture.org reports, the Philatelic and Numismatic Office of the Vatican City State announced that it is issuing stamps in honor of St. Gregory of Narek and Blessed Ignatius Maloyan.
The Philatelic and Numismatic Office honors this year two prominent figures of the Armenian Church, Blessed Ignatius Maloyan and Saint Gregory of Narek, according to Vatican official website.
2015 marks the centenary of the martyrdom of Blessed Ignatius Maloyan, who was Archbishop of Mardin, Turkey, and known for his closeness to the faithful of his diocese and alertness to their material, social and spiritual needs. He encouraged devotion to the Sacred Heart and to the Mother of God in all the parishes. He showed his witness of faith in the Risen Christ when he called on his priests to pray and remain strong in the faith, given the tragic news and threats against the Armenian people in 1915 which deeply marked not only Turkey, but all of Europe.
“I’ve told you I shall live and die for the sake of my faith and religion. I take pride in the Cross of my Lord and God,” Maloyan told his executioner, who was trying to make him renounce his faith in order to save his life.
In April, 2015, Pope Francis declared Saint Gregory of Narek a Doctor of the Church. Gregory of Narek lived most of his life in the monastery of Narek, Armenia, where he led an existence marked by great humility and charity. He is celebrated as one of the greatest poets of Armenian literature. After his death, his tomb immediately became a pilgrimage site for the Armenian people.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London