Armenian new school building to be opened this year in Istanbul
Istanbul’s Armenian community is set to open a new school building in the city’s Bakırköy district for the 2015-2016 academic year. It was built by Surp Asdvadzadzin Church Foundation.
As Hürriyet reports,Surp Asdvadzadzin Church Foundation head Mesut Özdemir said, that the new school was just a need and he thanked everyone who helped us reach this moment: Ministers, mayors, and the Armenian community.
“The Bakırköy district on Istanbul’s European side had housed one small school built over 170 years ago by Ottoman Armenian notable Hovhannes Dadyan and as the numbers increased capacity became a problem”,-Mesut Özdemir said.
According to his words, now they have a bigger sports and conference hall and canteen.
Özdemir said the school will now be able to offer a kindergarten service to the Armenian community, which will increase the number of students to 500.
The first day of the new school year, Sept. 28, will be the new Armenian school’s official inauguration day.
There are currently 22 minority schools across Istanbul: Five of them are Greek, one is Jewish, and the remaining 16 are Armenian.
Note, that this is the first new school building in the history of Turkish Republic.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London