Armenian Artist to Represent Turkey at 2015 Venice Contemporary Art Exhibit
ISTANBUL (Today’s Zaman)—Turkish-Armenian artist Sarkis, a globally prominent figure in , will be presenting a new installation that delves into the genealogies of cultures, beliefs and histories at this year’s Venice Biennale, the curator of the exhibition, Defne Ayas, announced Tuesday.Titled “Respiro,” the installation will be the sole work at the Pavilion of Turkey at the 56th International Art Exhibition, la Biennale di Venezia, curated by Okwui Enwezor and scheduled for May 9 through Nov. 22.
Emphasizing the importance of 2015 at a news conference on Tuesday in Istanbul, Ayas stated that it is a great pleasure to work with Sarkis.
“He is designing the pavilion like a theater stage: objects, images, ideas and codes are coming together. We will be seeing how his perfectionist talisman is taking us through the intuition, irrational, supraliminal and post-logic in the architectural design as well,” Ayas, who is the director and curator at the Witte de With Center for contemporary art in Rotterdam, said.
“Few artists have combined artistic ingenuity with such a subtle critique of history as deftly as Sarkis. This undertaking opens up a space in which the potential of art will be reanimated. Against the current landscape of deep uncertainties, it is our intention to unfurl a proposition that reveals Sarkis’s profound concern for humanity. With and through his intense and perfectionist oeuvre — especially with his magnum opus in the making — and thanks to his rich arsenal of visual, architectural, and musical apparatus, we will be able to tune into hidden signals and frames encrypted in mediated images and visions; dig deeper into our contemporary lived experience; most likely hurt but also hopefully heal. The focus is the transformative power of art, as well as timelessness and the timeliness of his oeuvre,” Ayas added.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London