The Islamized and abducted Armenian women. Orient im Bilt 1927
The policy of genocide realised by Ottoman Turkey against the Armenians started from massacre of men and went on with escort of still alive people to Syrian deserts.
The movement called “Migration” later turned into death caravans. These caravans were full of old people, women and children.
Countless Armenian women were abducted by Turkish soldiers and Kurdish gangs on their way, but those who were trying to resist, were just killed. Thousands of women were killed, but those who were unable to bear those tortures just committed suicide.
Thousands of women were deprived of their families. The first “phase” of their policy to destroy was men massacre, after which it was the women’s turn. Those who survived – children, women, elders just migrated. In the course of time the islamized and abducted women forgetting their identity lost the ability of speaking in mother language. In order to save their own lives and lives of their relatives, they had no other way than converting to islam.
Later these islamized women married the muslims and according to the local traditions covered themselves with henna. In the Middle Asia and other islamic countries henna symbolizes success. It was often put in the form of dot or letter “X” which considered to symbolize prosperity (barakyat) and belonging to someone. These signs highlighted the changes that Armenian women had passed through: that is, they had changed their identity.
After First World War years many foreign companies as well as missioners made every effort to save Armenian women from the places they had got stuck after being abducted. These efforts were dangerous. Especially Danish missioner K.Eppe coming to an agreement with the heads of Arabic tribes could save about two thousand Armenian women and children, until 1928. Due to him many lodgings were made for women in those places, which helped those tortured women to find a shelter. At the expense of their lives and those of survived, the missioners made these efforts and had to pay with their own lives. The islamization and abduction of Armenian women is ,no doubt, one of the dramatic and the bitterest periods of the 20th century genocide policy against Armenians that was realized by Ottoman Turkey.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
- Թուրքիայում վաճառքի է հանվել հայ վարպետի պատրաստած երաժշտական գործիք
- Composer and pianist Tatev Amiryan will perform a benefit concert in San Francisco
- Тhe new album of Alexander Arutiunian’s music will soon be available in the world leading music stores
- Shahen Shahinyan was re-elected as the rector of Conservatory
- The film ‘’Ashough Gharib’’ by Sergey Parajanov will be shown in Turkey
- It is planned to develop a tourism development plan for Ashtarak
- Racist scraping appeared again on the wall of Armenian school in Istanbul
- Armenian Culture Days held in Egypt
- National Academic Theatre after Gabriel Sundukyan is ready for operation after renovation
- Aramyants’ mansion from the perspective of tourism industry development can be very attractive. Prime Minister
- System of a Down will release a new album
- Dmitry Shostakovich and Johannes Brahms compositions at Khachaturian’s Festival
- The President of Belgium Senate visited the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- Painter Bill Plympton's visit to Armenia is finished
- 200-year-old Armenian rock-cut church is being destroyed by Kurdish embezzlers
- Dresden Symphonic Orchestra invited Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to be present at the concert dedicated to Armenian Genocide
- The Spain Malaga city recognized Armenian Genocide
- Dee Dee Bridgewater: ''Yerevan became for me a source of inspiration for new creative ideas ''
- An event dedicated to 25th anniversary of Armenia's independence in London